Thursday, January 9, 2014

2014 Recipe Challenge- Week 1


Jesse and I were discussing New Year’s Resolutions over dinner on January 2nd while trying out a new recipe. And the idea hit me; why not make a resolution to try at least one new recipe each week. Jesse laughed at me but eventually agreed to the idea. We have been in a dinner rut for a while and in-between the collections of cook books I have and Pinterest, this should be no problem.


So we started it off that night (since we were eating a new recipe for dinner). Back in September I went to a Wildtree Freezer Party and we made bags for an Asian Flank Steak Skewers. Instead of making skewers we turned it into stir-fry. I really think that Jesse just wanted a reason to use the orange UFO. J 



Week 1- Wildtree Asian Flank Steak Stir-fry

1 ½ lbs flank steak
2 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic½ cup Wildtree Outrageous Orange Sauce (1/4 cup of less spicy)
½ sweet onion, cut up however you like (Jesse does big pieces so I can pick them out)
1 green pepper, cut up however you like (Jesse does big pieces so I can pick them out)
1 big tub of mushrooms
You can add more or less vegetables.
Rice

 I put the steak in a Ziploc containing the green onions, garlic and Wildtree Outrageous Orange Sauce in the morning. When Jesse got home that night he cut up the steak and the veggies. Then he turned on the wok and added a little oil to it. 

While he was waiting for the wok to warm up he started on the rice.


Once he got the rice going, and the wok was ready, he cooked the steak first in our awesome retro electric wok. 



Once the steak was just about done he added the onion, peppers and mushrooms.



Waiting for everything to cook down seemed like it took forever! The house smelled so good, I was ready to eat!

It was really tasty and very easy to make. I didn’t think it was spicy at all. I don’t really like onions or peppers, but I ended up eating some of them because they were so delicious.

We already had 2 steaks, but they were a little small so we picked up another small one and got the green pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Because, I had been the freezer party I already had the green onions, garlic and Wildtree Outrageous Orange Sauce in a Ziploc in the freezer ready to be used.

Jesse really liked it as well. So much he has already talking about making it again and what else we could add to it to make it even better.

We ended up having enough leftovers for more lunches. The leftovers were a little spicier than the original meal because they set in the peppers longer, but I thought it was still amazing.

I think we both agree that we would make this meal again.

1 comment: